Renting homes wales graphic by Welsh Government

Renting homes (Wales) Act 2016: Frequently Asked Questions

The rules about renting are changing in Wales on 1 December 2022. Here is everything you need to know…

What is the Renting Homes (Wales) Act 2016?

The Renting Homes (Wales) Act 2016 is a new law by the Welsh Government that will come into place on the 1st of December 2022.These changes have been planned by Welsh Government for some time and have been scrutinised and supported by tenant organisations such as TPAS Cymru and Shelter Cymru.

How will I have greater security?

Increase security – 6 months’ notice will need to be given as long as the contract is not breached.

Who does the law affect?

All Landlords – Private and Social
All Tenants – Private and Social

Will Adra still be my landlord??

Yes. You will continue to receive the same housing service from us.

Will I still be called a tenant?

No. the Act has changed the term to contract-holder

Will I have to move home?

No. This does not mean you have to move home. Your right to remain in your property is unaffected.

How will it affect me as an Adra tenant?

There is no need to worry. You will still be able to live in your home, you will still pay rent and we will still do your repairs and look after your estates and communal areas.
Adra will be known as a ‘community landlord’, a change from the term ‘social landlord’

Is it going to cost me money?


Will my rent go up?

No. the amount of rent you pay will be unaffected. We will continue to increase you rent in line with Welsh Government.

Will my welfare benefits be affected?

No. There will be no impact on your benefits if you’re in receipt of any.

What is an occupation contract?

This is the new name for your tenancy agreement.

When will I receive my occupation contract?

Existing tenants will receive the occupation contract within 6 months from the 1st of December 2022 replacing your Tenancy Agreement.

Regardless of when you receive your contract, the Act will apply to everyone from the 1st of December 2022.

Do I need to sign the contract?

No. You do NOT need to sign the contract. The written statement is not a new contract, it’s a written statement (written copy) of the existing terms and conditions of your tenancy agreement, incorporating additions and/or changes required by the Renting Homes (Wales) Act 2016.

Is there anything I need to do?

The only thing you will need to do is read your contract when you receive it and familiarise yourself with your rights and responsibilities. Please keep it safe so that you can refer to it when you need to.

We will send existing Adra tenants a written statement (written copy) of their contract within 6 months of the 1st of December. New Adra tenants(contract-holders) will sign the occupation contracts from 1st December in the usual way at the start of their tenancy (contract)

Will I be able to have a joint tenancy?

Yes. The new law makes it easier to add or remove others to an occupation contract as there will no longer be a need to end one contract and start another.

If you are a joint tenant. You will now be called a joint contract-holder.

Also, it’s now much easier for a person to remove themselves from a contract, without putting the remaining person’s contract at risk.

Will the housing services I receive be affected?

No. There will not be any changes to the housing services you receive as a result of the new law.

How much notice must I give Adra if I want to end my tenancy?

You must provide us with at least four weeks written notice if you wish to end your contract. The same as now.

Can I still apply for a transfer?

Yes. Contact our Lettings team in the same way to discuss a transfer.

Can I still arrange a mutual exchange?

Yes, but you must ask our permission before you do so. This process will be called a ‘transfer to a secure contract holder’ under the new law.

Am I allowed to make improvements to my home?

You still have the same rights to carry our improvements to you home. You will need our written permission to do so before carrying out the work. You may also need planning and building regulation approval.

Will you help me if I have problems with my neighbours?

Yes. We will continue to help and support you if you have problems with your neighbours. All occupation contracts will include a term about anti-social behaviour and other prohibited conduct. If a contract-holder breaches this term of the contract, we are able to take action .

Will it be easier for you to evict me?

No. your right to live I your home remains the same. You can only be evicted if you break the terms of your contract such as serious rent arrears or anti-social behaviour.

Will I be allowed to have a pet?

Yes. If you keep pets, you must make sure they don’t become a nuisance to your neighbours or the community or cause damage to your home. Please see our website for further information on animals we do not allow. Your contract will provide more detail.

What happens to my succession rights?

The new law improves your succession rights. If you share your home, two potential successions can take place e.g. spouse followed by another family member.A new succession right is created, if the carer meets a certain criteria, including having been living with the contract-holder for at least 12 months as their main home.

What happens if I have already succeeded to a tenancy?

We at Adra have decided to provide every converting contract-holder with a ‘clean slate’. Any successions prior to December 1st 2022 will not be taken into account – you will have the full benefit of the succession term in the Act.

Will I be able to have a lodger?

Yes, if you are a secure contract-holder you continue to have the right to have a lodger as long as this does not create statutory overcrowding. You will need to inform us of any lodgers in writing.

The Renting Homes Act is improving the condition of rental properties. How will this happen?

The new law states that all properties must be safe and fit for human habitation. The aim of these regulations is to ensure all landlords properly maintain properties and that they are safe to live in.

This includes installing hardwired smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors and regular electrical safety testing. These are all things that we at Adra do already.

However, if you have any concerns about the condition of your property, please contact us.

Is there anywhere I can get more information on these changes?

Yes. On the Welsh Government’s website:
Tenants: housing law is changing (Renting Homes) | GOV.WALES
Housing law is changing: Renting Homes Wales | GOV.WALES

You can also find an Easy Read guide on the Welsh Government website: